LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Many Facebookers in their mid-to-late 20s remember the social networking site as being a platform designed only for connecting with other college students.
As the site continued to grow and its gates opened wider and wider, it's now a platform to connect with just about anyone with a working email address. Even grandparents are rocking the ever-popular Facebook.
According to a study by Pew, just 20 percent on average of peoples' Facebook friends are family members. There's so much we'd like to share with our families, but not necessarily with the other 80 percent, so a couple of guys got together and built a social site just for relatives to connect. FamilyLeaf.
According to a representative from the company, FamilyLeaf is different from Facebook in that it has more family-centric, easy-to-use features. "It's a place where the entire family, from grandparents to grandkids, can privately (and safely) communicate and share their lives," said Michael Simpson with FamilyLeaf in an email to THV 11.
In a write-up on USAToday.com, Nick Foley said, "Co-founders Ajay Mehta and Wesley Zhao found that once their parents joined Facebook, things got "weird." Forced to either navigate complex privacy settings or to block their relatives altogether, they aimed to create a space where families could connect online but away from the social-media frontlines."
It's a spot for families to swap stories and photos on a more consistent basis, rather than just at holiday functions. You can create photo galleries and share information between relatives in a private, online landing strip. Very cool!