Just who is Britney Spears? She's the pop superstar whose shiny, sexy image cracked and fell away before our very eyes and was replaced with a disheveled tabloid casualty. But then she pieced herself back together as a devoted mother of two, just as sexy and fabulous as ever.
However, her eighth album, Britney Jean, which aimed to show fans her personal side, wasn't warmly received by critics. Judging from weak sales of the album, which came out in November, fans were lukewarm on it as well. Perhaps her two-hour E! documentary, I Am Britney Jean, covering the months leading up to her two-year residency, Piece of Me, at Planet Hollywood in Las Vegas will heat her career back up. Her Vegas gig kicks off Friday.
Here are five things Britney wants you to know about Britney Jean.
- Watermelon is her favorite bubblegum flavor. So when you see Britney smacking away in the documentary, that's what she's most likely got in her mouth.
- She's actually a very shy person. Don't let the revealing attire fool you. "I'm not built for this industry because I am so shy."
- In her home in Louisiana, she has a plaque on the wall that says "Go beyond reason to love for it's the only safety there is." Loose translation: Love is why we're here as people.
- Her sister Jamie Lynn can kick her butt. "Jamie Lynn's surprisingly strong. She nails me to the ground every time."
- Britney and her father, Jamie, are a lot alike. When they're nervous, they both make corny jokes and press their hands together in the same tee-pee shape. "We've got the same mannerisms when we've got something on the brain." Her father also says they don't travel anywhere without duct tape, in case something needs fixing. A wise precaution, it turns out. When shooting the Work B-tch video in Las Vegas, there was no air conditioning in her makeup trailer. So her father "rednecked it" by taping a tube that blew cold air to the vent, turning the swampy digs into a cool one.
She loves sex. "I think it's great. But I feel a little bit differently about it now than I used to. Sometimes I feel like I'm 20 and sometimes I feel like I'm 50," says the 32-year-old.