UNDATED (CBS) - On Christmas morning, a 16-year-old put on a navy blue hoodie sweatshirt he'd just received as a gift. When he put his hands in the pockets, his finger was poked by a syringe.
The teen's stepdad, Tom Basye, told KOIN 6 News there were two hypodermic needles inside the sweatshirt that was purchased at the Longview Walmart.
"He tried it on and a couple seconds later put his hands in his pockets and then he got poked with the needle," Basye said. "Utter shock. Couldn't believe it on Christmas morning that this would happen."
"There was blood inside the vial of the needle," he said. "The first thing we did, we kind of freaked out. We called 911."
They then took the teen to the emergency room for blood tests for HIV and hepatitis A, B and C. They spent hours at the hospital on Christmas, and the high school sophomore will have to undergo a series of tests for at least six months.
During the interview with KOIN 6 News, Cowlitz County deputies collected the syringes and sweatshirt as evidence in their investigation.
Walmart corporate spokesperson Betsy Harden told KOIN 6 News, "We take this claim very seriously. We are currently investigating, and we are not aware of any other claims."
Basye said Walmart had them fill out an incident report, but the family has not heard back from Walmart. The family is considering contacting a lawyer to get the teen's medical costs covered.
"Words can't explain how he feels at this point. He's just really scared."