LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Today we have a special guest showing a New Orleans classic recipe for gumbo.
Faded Rose owner Ed David demonstrates a delicious chicken and smoked sausage filé gumbo with Ashley, Alyse and Tom.
Chicken & smoked sausage filé gumbo
2 cups minced yellow onions
1 cup chopped green bell peppers
1 ½ tablespoons finely minced garlic
Half cup minced green onions (white part only)
2 ½ tablespoons finely minced flat leaf parsley
1 pound tasso or other lean ham cubed ½ inch
1 pound smoked sausages sliced ¼" and cut in half moons
8 cups chicken stock or good chicken broth
1 chicken cut in 6 pieces
1 tablespoon salt
1 ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3 whole bay leaves
2 tablespoons filé powder or to taste
½ cup thinly sliced green onions (tops only)
¾ cup flour
¾ cup vegetable oil
1. Prepare vegetables, meats, and seasonings
2. Make a red-brown roux with the vegetable oil and flour (be very careful not to splash yourself.
3. When roux reaches the reddish brown color add the vegetables being careful not to the steam burn you.
4. Add the ham and sausage and mix well
5. Add the chicken stock and the chicken pieces, mixing well.
6. Add the two peppers, the Louisiana hot sauce, thyme and bay leaves mixing well.
7. Bring mixture to a rolling boil, then reduce heat to a slow simmer and simmer of 1 ½ hours or until chicken is tender.
8. Once the chicken is tender, remove pieces and continue simmering until it has simmered a total of 1 ½ hours. Allow chicken to cool enough to handle. Pull chicken from bones and return the chicken to the simmering pot discarding the bones. Mix well and simmer for 10-15 more minutes.
9. Five minutes prior to serving add the filé powder and mix well. Turn off heat and allow to stand for five minutes.
10. Serve over long grain white rice. Garnish with thinly sliced green onion tops.