As you start putting together your fall wardrobe here are 6 staples you need to be sure you have in your closet from Real Simple Magazine.
1. Black Pants. A sleek pair of black trousers with a flattering fit not only transcends trends, it is a master of multi-tasking. Without question, black pants are one of the few wardrobe staples that you can wear with just about anything else in your closet.
2. French-Cuff Dress Shirt. The simple upgrade of the cuffs adds elegance to an otherwise ordinary shirt and helps create a look that will feel as appropriate for pitching a new client as it does for hosting a casual Sunday brunch.
3. Black Pumps. They've withstood the test of time because it's the go-to shoe for day or night, jeans or trousers or skirts, dressy occasions or more casual events. Black pumps adds polish to any outfit.
4. Day Dress. It's the easiest and most appropriate choice for such semi-formal festivities as luncheons, recitals, and afternoon bridal showers. And when you discover how little effort it takes to zip into a dress, you'll find it a pleasure to give your pants a well-deserved rest.
5. Black Suit. It has appeal beyond the workplace -- when you show up anywhere dressed in a well-fitted jacket and skirt, you look proper, polished, and modern. Invest in the best-constructed suit you can afford. You'll get your money's worth by wearing the skirt and the jacket as separates.
6. A Wrap. There's nothing that complements an evening dress as well as an understated, equally sophisticated wrap. Plus, it will keep you warm and it will go just as well with more casual attire, like jeans.