RUSSELLVILLE, Ark. (GAC) - Arkansas-Monticello's Donlicia James and Zach Roddenberry received the Great American Conference Women's and Men's Basketball Players of the Week for their performances in the second week of the 2012-13 regular season.
GAC WOMEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Donlicia James, Arkansas-Monticello, F, Fr., Monroe, La.
James made quite an impressive collegiate debut, as she averaged 22.5 points and 13.5 rebounds in two Cotton Blossom victories. In her first game, against LeMoyne-Owen, she notched game-highs in points and rebounds (23 and 14). James led UAM to a 25-rebound advantage against the Lady Magicians. On Friday, her 22-point, 13-rebound effort paced the Cotton Blossoms to a 78-62 win against Arkansas-Fort Smith, the preseason favorite out of the Heartland Conference.
GAC MEN'S BASKETBALL PLAYER OF THE WEEK - Zach Roddenberry, Harding, F, Sr., Conyers, Ga.
Roddenberry scored 18 points in only 21 minutes against Central Baptist. He scored 14 points in the second half. On Saturday, he had his second career 30-point game when he scored 30 against St. Edward's. Roddenberry hit consecutive baskets midway through the second half to stop an 11-0 St. Edward's run. In addition, he pulled down a career-high 16 rebounds in the game, including five of Harding's 10 offensive rebounds.
NOTABLE WOMEN'S NOMINEES
- Alycea Price, F, Jr., East Central (Scored 13 points on 6-for-11 shooting in the 78-46 win vs Cameron)
- Oumoul Thiam, G, Sr., Southern Nazarene (Recorded 2nd 30-point game of the season; hit 9-of-15 3-point FG attempts)
- Jessica Weatherford, F, Sr., Arkansas (Notched a double-double - 12 points, 12 rebound - vs Christian Brothers)
NOTABLE MEN'S NOMINEES
- Kori Forge, G, Sr., Arkansas-Monticello (Averaged 21.5 points and 4.0 assists for the week)
- Darrin Johnson, G, Jr., Southern Arkansas (Hit 13-of-20 shots for the floor and 7-of-11 on 3-pt attempts in two wins)
- Willie Kirkland, G, Sr., Arkansas Tech (Scored 22 points and grabbed seven rebounds against Northeastern State)
- Travis Timmons, G, Jr., Southeastern Oklahoma State (Tallied double-digit assists in against Union and Arkansas-Fort Smith)
- Jason Williams, F, Jr., East Central (Named to Taco Bell Texas Tip-Off Classic All-Tournament Team; shot 70 percent)
(Source: Great American Conference)