MABELVALE, Ark. (KTHV) -- Copper thieves struck a humane society, leaving practically nothing behind.
It happened in Mabelvale in Saline County. Humane Society Director Ann Sanders had just moved all the animals to their Bauxite location while a few employees took vacation. She came back to find their Mabelvale building torn to shreds.
"Yesterday, we got a call from the electric company that there was a problem out here at our other location, so we came over, and as you can see, as you're coming down the hallway, they had gone through and undone all the plug-ins and electrical outlets," said Sanders, showing THV 11 cameras what is left of the property. "They cut the piping up here to the hot water heater. Some of it is still sticking up out of the wall there, but you can see here's where the light switches and everything were, and they just pulled all the wires straight up to the ceiling."
Every electrical outlet and piece of copper wiring throughout the whole building is gone. Not to mention the heating and air unit that kept the humane society's animals warm through the winter months. Luckily, those animals had just been taken to a different location, likely on the same day vandals tore apart their temporary home.
Now Sanders has to have the water shut off in case the vandals come back to take that copper piping, too. Even if they don't, she said that as the building sits right now, it's utterly useless.
"The heater is gone. The air conditioner units are gone and then all the wiring and everything throughout the building. I have no idea how much it would cost to replace all this. I don't know that we will be able to repair all of it," explained Sanders.
The Humane Society is not the only building in the area to get hit by vandals. The house next door is currently unoccupied and had the air conditioning unit and most of the wiring stolen from it as well.
If you have any information regarding these thefts, you are encouraged to contact the Saline County Sheriff's Office.
If you would like to help the Saline County Humane Society repair their building or help foster an animal, click here to contact them.