Aaron Hernandez. Photo: SportsGlory.com
NORTH ATTLEBOROUGH, Mass. (AP) - New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez has been taken from his home in handcuffs after a Boston semi-pro football player was found dead in an industrial park a mile from his house.
Family members say the dead man, 27-year-old Odin Lloyd, was dating a woman whose sister is Hernandez's fiancee. Officials ruled the death a homicide but did not say how Lloyd died.
It's unclear why Hernandez was being taken into custody Wednesday morning and put into the back of a marked police car.
State police have searched in and around Hernandez's home in North Attleborough several times. At least three search warrants have been issued in connection with the investigation.
Hernandez attorney Michael Fee hasn't discussed the investigation.
The New England Patriots tweeted at 9:20 a.m. Wednesday they have released Hernandez.
A chronology of events in the investigation of New England Patriots tight end Aaron Hernandez in connection with a friend's death:
- June 17: The body of semi-pro football player Odin Lloyd is found in an industrial park a mile from Hernandez's home.
- June 18: Police spend hours searching Hernandez's home as another group of officers search the industrial park.
- June 19: The Bristol County district attorney's office says the state medical examiner ruled Lloyd's death a homicide. A man files a lawsuit claiming Hernandez shot him in the face after they argued at a strip club in Miami in February.
- June 20: A news helicopter follows along as Hernandez drives from his home to the Patriots stadium. State police search brush with metal detectors and poles on a road leading to the entrance to Hernandez's subdivision.
- June 21: CytoSport, which makes Muscle Milk and other supplements for athletes, says it's ending Hernandez's endorsement contract, effective immediately, because of the investigation. The Hernandez investigation leads officers to a Providence strip club, but police wouldn't say what they were doing there. Family members say Hernandez and Lloyd were together the night Lloyd died.
- June 22: State police with dogs return to Hernandez's home to conduct an additional search.
- June 23: Officers don wetsuits to search woods near Hernandez's home.
- June 24: Hernandez is taken from his home in handcuffs and driven away in a police cruiser.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)