LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed Thursday afternoon that there is a case of Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis, known more commonly as 'parasitic meningitis,' out of Arkansas. Candice Burns Hoffman with the CDC said there was also a case of this condition reported from Arkansas in 2010.
According to the CDC's website, the condition is usually deadly and the infection typically occurs when people go swimming or diving in warm freshwater places, such as lakes and rivers.
For information on Primary Amebic Meningoencephalitis, visit http://www.cdc.gov/naegleria.
The Arkansas Dept. of Health has not confirmed the condition, though a mother from Benton said her 12-year-old daughter is being treated for parasitic meningitis. She reportedly contracted the infection after swimming in a body of water; the location or name of water is not being released.
The owner of Willow Springs water park in Little Rock said the health department has taken samples of its water, but those results have not been returned. The health department has also taken samples from other unnamed bodies of water in the area.
THV 11 continues to get more information on this case and will provide details as they become available.