LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Now there's a new bug to be aware of for kids. "Affluenza" also known as "I-want-itis".
The proverbial viral condition of materialism hits kids and families year-round, but especially at Christmas.
This month's issue of Little Rock Family Magazine gives tips to parents on warding off this holiday bug.
Heather Bennett joined us today to explain those pointers.
This isn't necessarily a "bug" doctors can fix - but parents can do something about it.
1. Emphasize philanthropy as a family.
2. Discuss wants versus needs.
3. Allow kids to take responsibility and learn life's often painful lessons.
4. Have family hang-out time without constant entertainment/distractions/spending money.
5. Have realistic notion of hard work, earning, and saving.
6. Try a waiting period.