LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Rick Oberdahlhoff with the Marriott Hotel joined THV 11 to talk about Valentine's treats and flower arrangements for Feb. 14, but first we wanted to share some fun facts about the holiday with you.
• More than 36 million heart-shaped boxes of chocolate are sold for Valentine's Day each year.
• On average, men shell out $130 each on candy, cards, jewelry, flowers and dates.
• About 8 billion candy hearts will be produced this year
• About 1 billion Valentine's Day cards are exchanged in US each year
• Worldwide, over 50 million roses are given for Valentine's Day each year.
• Women purchase 85% of all valentines.
• In order of popularity, Valentine's Day cards are given to teachers, children, mothers, wives, sweethearts and pets.
• 73% of people who buy flowers for Valentine's Day are men, while only 27 percent are women.
• Men buy most of the millions of boxes of candy and bouquets of flowers given on Valentine's Day.
• Richard Cadbury invented the first Valentine's Day candy box in the late 1800s.
For full details, check out the video attached to this story.