LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - In honor of Valentine's Day, THV11's Craig O'Neill set out to find couples who had been married more than 40 years.
He wanted to know what their secret is, how they met, what first attracted them to each other, and why they're still together after all these years.
Craig sat down with the Halls (married 47 years), the Jeffersons (married 52 years), the Johnsons (married 40 years), and the McDermotts (married 61 years.) Craig also put himself and wife, Jane, in the hotseat, sharing their advice after being married 42 years.
Some of the specific advice they gave on how to find (and keep) the perfect mate include:
- "I think the best things is to be good friends first. Enjoy being together 'cause if you don't enjoy being with them, you're not going to have any fun." - Jane
- "You need to have somebody that you're willing to be with for the rest of your life and you don't let anything interfere with that." - Albert Hall
- "Never allow one incident, one isolated moment to cause you to judge your mate's motives." - Jennifer Johnson
- "I think to look for someone that you can really talk to, communicate with, and settle your differences before it gets into a fight." -Pat Jefferson
- "When you got one person at a certain level of commitment and the other one is maybe not there, they just sort of act where they are. It always ends up in a bad situation when the commitment is not equal." -Silas Johnson
- "The Bible teaches when you're married, you're as one. And, at that time, there's a little givin' and takin' in all of it." - Marvin McDermott
To see the full piece of "How to Pick a Mate," watch the video above.
What do you think the secret is to a long, healthy, committed marriage? What do you think is important in picking the perfect mate? Let us know in the comments below.