LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- A classic dinner-table favorite gets a fall spin with pumpkin mac n'cheese.
Margaret Pauly, corporate dietician with FitNuh will join Ashley, Alyse and Tom to demonstrate this recipe.
Pumpkin Mac n'Cheese
Prep time: 5 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serving size: 1 cup
Number of servings: 5
½ lb. uncooked elbow macaroni
2 Tbs Smart Balance spread w/Omega 3
2 Tbs all purpose flour
1 ¾ Cups non-fat milk
½ cup pumpkin puree
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp nutmeg
1/8 tsp pepper
1 cup shredded reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese
2 Tbs neufchatel cheese
• Cook macaroni in a medium pot of boiling water for 9 minutes.
• Drain macaroni in colander and reserve.
• While pasta is cooking, in medium pan, on medium heat, melt Smart Balance until bubbling, but not browned.
• Whisk flour into melted Smart Balance spread and cook while stirring for about 1 minute.
• Whisk in the milk, stirring until mixture thickens, approximately 3-4 minutes.
• Add the pumpkin puree and whisk until blended.
• Take pan off the heat and add salt, nutmeg, pepper, shredded sharp cheddar cheese and Neufchatel cheese. Stir until completely melted.
• Add cooked macaroni, reheating if necessary.
Calories: 358; total fat: 12.2 g; Sodium: 434 mg; Dietary fiber: 2.1 g; Protein: 16.4 g