LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) - Chef Cynthia Malik with Pulaski Technical College shows us how to whip up risotto during Italian Week on "Today's THV at 9:00."
5 cups hot good-quality chicken broth
1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion , finely chopped
1 -2 tablespoons chopped fresh garlic
½ cup white wine
1 1/2 cups arborio rice
1 1/4 cups grated parmesan cheese (can use less)
salt and black pepper
1. Bring the chicken broth to a boil in a saucepan; reduce the heat, to low and cover the saucepan to keep hot.
2. In another heavy-bottomed saucepan heat olive oil over medium-low heat, add onion and saute until very tender but not brown.
3. Add in garlic and stir, cook for about 2 minutes.
4. Increase heat slightly and add in the rice; stir and cook for few minutes, toasting the rice.
5. Add the wine and stir until it is absorbed. Add 1-1/2 cups hot broth with a ladle; boil gently, stirring until the broth is absorbed.
6. Add another 1 cup broth, and stir until absorbed.
7. Add 1/2 cup broth at a time allowing the broth to absorb before adding in another 1/2 cup, stirring frequently until the rice is tender and creamy (this should take between 25-30 minutes).
8. Stir in grated Parmesan cheese; mix to combine.
9. Season with salt and pepper.
Serve as a side dish or with vegetables such as sautéed mushrooms, spinach and roasted peppers for a complete meal.