- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 dash salt
- 1/2 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 1 1/2 cups skim milk
- 1 each egg
- 1 tablespoon canola oil, or melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 medium apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, chopped
Combine dry ingredients (flours through salt) in medium size bowl. Add cottage cheese, milk, egg, oil and vanilla extract to a blender and puree until smooth. Whisk this mixture into dry ingredients. Stir in walnuts if desired.
Heat griddle to about 375 degrees. Spray with cooking oil. When hot, pour pancake mixture onto griddle using 1/4 cup. Press one slice of apple into the top of each round circle of batter.
Flip pancakes when little bubbles appear throughout the pancake and pancakes are a nice golden brown on each side. Serve with additional apples and walnuts as desired. Serving size is 2 pancakes.
Per Serving: 259 Calories; 7g Fat (25.1% calories from fat); 11g Protein; 38g Carbohydrate; 5g Dietary Fiber; 37mg Cholesterol; 375mg Sodium.