LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- If you're looking to get healthy, listen to this. Here are five ingredients nutritionists won't touch from Shine from Yahoo!
Check out more ingredients nutritionists won't touch on Yahoo!'s website.
1. Potassium benzoate - Sodium and potassium benzoate are added to some diet soft drinks and fruit drinks. They can form benzene, which is a carcinogen when combined with vitamin-C. And, there may be a link between diet cola consumption and weight gain, as well as cancer and diabetes.
2. Corn - Don't panic, you can enjoy your corn on the cob if it's non-GMO. We're talking about modified cornstarch, dextrose, malto-dextrin, and corn oil here. All are high in omega-6 fatty acids, which can promote inflammation, cancer, and heart disease. You can cut back by gradually phasing out foods like margarine and vegetable oil.
3. BHA - Any processed food that has a long shelf life is often filled with B-H-A to prevent fats from spoiling. It's been shown to cause cancer in animals, raising concerns that the additive could be carcinogenic to humans as well.
4. MSG - It's a flavor enhancer commonly added to Chinese foods and products, as well as canned vegetables and soups and some meats. It's officially recognized as a food that's safe to eat in small quantities, but some people experience migraines and increased appetite after consuming it.
5. Artificial flavorings - They show up in almost everything today including bread, cereals, flavored yogurt, soups mixes, and cocktail mixers. Your best bet is to go for the real thing whenever possible. For example, if you want to have whipped cream, have a little bit of real whipped cream, not whipped topping.