It is important to be aware of these scams to protect yourself from being a victim. Most recently, the Searcy Police Department has received complaints regarding phone calls soliciting money for the local Fraternal Order of Police.
While Arkansas has the Arkansas State Lodge Fraternal Order of Police, there is no local chapter in Searcy. Here are some tips to protect yourself from scams:
- Get the organization's contact information
- Do not give your credit card number or bank account information over the phone to someone who has contacted you
- Call your local police department to verify the legitimacy of the organization before you donate money
- Do not let the caller intimidate you into giving information immediately. The legitimate callers will not mind that you are verifying their information
- A quick internet search can reveal a great deal of information about charities and whether they use cold calling to raise funds
If you have any questions regarding a possible scam or would like to report a scam, please contact the Searcy Police Department at (501) 268-3531.
(Source: Searcy Police Dept.)