• FEATURED:

    China school attack suspect arrested

    8:05 AM, Dec 18, 2012   |    comments
    • Share
    • Print
    • - A A A +
    • FILED UNDER

    HENAN PROVINCE, CHINA (CNN) -- A man who attacked children at an elementary school with a knife on Friday in central China's Henan Province has been arrested, local police said.

    The Guangshan County People's Procuratorate confirmed on Monday that it has ratified the arrest of Min Yongjun, suspect of jeopardizing public security in the attack in which more than 20 children and an elderly villager were wounded.

    According to police, Min Yongjun (previously spelled as Min Yingjun) burst into an elderly woman's house near the elementary school of Chenpeng Village in Guangshan, at around 07:00 Friday, hitting her and stabbing her with a kitchen knife he picked up in the house. Min then ran to the school, and allegedly knifed 23 students, before being subdued by teachers and police.

    Previous reports said 22 students were injured. However, police found that another youngster had escaped and run home after being stabbed.

    Initial police investigation found Min, a long-term epilepsy sufferer, had been strongly psychologically affected by rumors of the upcoming end of the world predicted by ancient prophecy.

    His motives for the attack are still under further investigation.
    Rao Mingsheng, health director for Guangshan, said on Monday that none of the people injured in the attack was currently in a critical condition. Some remained locally hospitalized, while others have been transferred to bigger hospitals in Xinyang City of Henan , and Wuhan, capital of central China's Hubei Province.

    Most of the students sustained head injuries or cuts to their fingers or ears, and required immediate surgery.

    Authorities in Xinyang City, which administrates Guangshan, have ordered reinforced patrols near schools in the city to guard against attacks targeting teachers and students.

    The 24 injured in the school attack are being treated in various hospitals, with the conditions of a badly wounded pupil improved.
    15 of the injured pupils and an elderly villager are now receiving treatment in three hospitals in Guangshan County, Henan Province, where the knife attack took place.

    Eight other pupils have been transferred to Tongji Hospital in Wuhan City, the capital of central Hubei Province. Two critically wounded pupils are to take operations.

    Another victim is receiving treatment in a hospital specializing in bone injury treatment in Xinyang City of Henan Province, that governs Guangshan County.

    Two critically wounded are receiving treatment in a hospital in Guangshan County. A pupil has been transferred from the ICU to a regular ward since his conditions have improved.

    "All of the injured are under 24-hour monitoring. Examinations are done whenever there is a change in the patients' conditions and further treatment will be provided if needed," said Fu Yuansen, a doctor at Guangshan People's Hospital.

    The shock over the elementary school attack has been felt across Guangshan Country.

    Most Watched Videos