Update: Greenbrier Community Reacts To Murder Of UA Co-ed

    4:38 PM, Mar 10, 2008   |    comments
    • Share
    • Print
    • - A A A +

    A Fayetteville man is behind bars, accused of murdering a University of Arkansas student. Police say Zachariah Marcyniuk killed Katie Wood last weekend in her Fayetteville apartment. Wood was from Greenbrier and a 2002 graduate of Greenbrier High School. Her high school principal says they are in total shock. Wood was a 24-year-old English major. Hours after she was found dead, police in Oklahoma arrested Marcyniuk. Wood's home town of Greenbrier is left in shock and disbelief. She was a shining star at Greenbrier High School. Katie wood won art awards, communication awards, even designed the yearbook. Now, 28-year-old Zachariah Marcyniuk is behind bars detained on a first degree murder warrant. Wood was found dead inside her Fayetteville apartment. Katie's Greenbrier art teacher Lisa Foster says Katie had brought Zach as they called him, to visit Greenbrier. Foster says, "She brought him by to introduce me on his first visit then brought him by on another occasion and I don't know, it's just so horrific." Police say the two had an on again off again relationship and were more than friends at some point. Investigators say it was Katie's friends that pointed to Marcyniuk as a potential suspect. He has a criminal history. In 2005 he was charged with false imprisonment, aggravated assault, burglary and theft, and violating a protection order. Foster says, "Katie and her family had no idea about this former boyfriend's background." Katie was in to arts and music at Greenbrier High School. The 2002 graduate was voted most talented by her class. "All the teachers had great respect and knew the quality of Katie. So she's heavily missed. It’s tragic to our school and to our community," says her former principal. Steve Lucas says Katie will always be remembered for her smile. Lucas says, "She always greeted me with a smile, a huge smile. She was one of those that everybody liked; all the kids liked, all the teachers adored she was a wonderful student." Marcyniuk was arrested in Oklahoma, ten hours after the murder. He was pulled over for speeding and when the trooper ran his license, the first degree murder warrant popped up and he was taken into custody. Marcyniuk has not been officially arraigned on this charge. He must first be extradited back to Arkansas. Police say he could be back by the end of the week. Until then, police aren't saying how or why Wood was murdered. Funeral services are Saturday, March 15th at 1:00 p.m. at Roller-McNutt Funeral Home in Greenbrier. See story link below pictures.

    Most Watched Videos