• FEATURED:

    Keeping your family safe from carbon monoxide

    7:22 AM, Jan 14, 2013   |    comments
    • Share
    • Print
    • - A A A +
    • FILED UNDER

    LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (UAMS) -- Carbon monoxide claims the lives of dozens of Arkansans each year. Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that is made when fuels burn improperly. Many fuels can produce carbon monoxide such as: wood, oil, natural gas, gasoline, kerosene, propane and coal.

    Dr. Pamala Rossi with UAMS shares safety tips on "THV 11 News This Morning."

    If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide immediately move to fresh air and then call the Arkansas Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222.

    Help protect your family this winter by following these recommendations:

    • Never run portable generators indoors.
    • Place carbon monoxide detectors close to sleeping areas.
    • Place extra carbon monoxide alarms on every level of the home.
    • Have gas appliances installed by professionals.
    • Have your gas appliances including gas water heaters checked annually.

    The Arkansas Poison Center (APCC) located in the College of Pharmacy at the UAMS hospital can be contacted at 1-800-222-1222 anytime day or night. Please place the hotline number in your cell phone speed dial for immediate access. The APCC is staffed by registered nurses and doctors of pharmacy that are Certified Specialists in Poison Information (CSPI).

     

     

     

     

    If you suspect you have been exposed to carbon monoxide immediately move to fresh air and then call the Arkansas Poison Center at 1-800-222-1222.

    Most Watched Videos