LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) --- Live longer, feel better, lose weight; dairy has some powerful health benefits. Here are five surprising reasons to eat dairy today.
Check out Reader's Digest full list here: 12 Surprising, Persuasive Reasons to Eat Dairy Today
1. Dairy products may help reduce the risk of diabetes. Having at least 55-grams of cheese a day which comes out to about two slices, reduces the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by about 12-percent. The pro-biotic bacteria present in cheese and yogurt also helps lower cholesterol.
2. Some cheeses have anti-inflammatory properties. Roquefort, the coveted blue-molded French cheese can help protect against cardiovascular disease. Researchers hope to extract Roquefort's beneficial traits to use in medicine and anti-aging remedies.
3. It can prevent tooth decay. Eating cheese prevents acid secretions from clinging to your teeth. Calcium and phosphate from the cheese break up bacteria. Follow the French's lead and treat yourself to a small cheese and fruit platter after dinner.
4. It helps with sleeplessness. For those suffering symptoms of insomnia, a protein naturally occurring in milk may improve sleep quality and next-day alertness. Milk, cheese, and yogurt are rich in calcium and calming melatonin.
5. You can pair dairy with a spicy meal to slash the heat. Drinking milk afterwards or combining spicy foods with a dollop of yogurt helps lower the spiciness. In India, parents often use plain yogurt mixed in spicy foods to help their young children eat the same foods while cutting the heat and removing the need to prepare multiple meals for the family.