LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- Before summer-time utility bills start to make you sweat, you might want to consider making a few changes to cut your energy consumption.
Electric Cooperatives of Arkansas is sponsoring their energy efficiency makeover contest and a few simple changes could make you their grand prize winner.
Bret Curry stopped by "THV 11 This Morning" to talk more.
Here are a few tips:
• Most would likely admit if the refrigerator is not broken, there is no need to fix it.
• But, did you know major home appliances are not meant to last forever? ...10 years max.
• Older refrigerators equate to additional energy consumption.
• Up to 66 percent more energy is consumed running an older model unit than a newer model that is ENERGY STAR® equivalent.
• Today's technology is a friend when it comes to energy efficient appliances.
No cost tip:
• Close all draperies and shades when possible to prevent the summer heat from circulating through your home.
• Drapes save energy only if they fit tightly around the window frame. This usually means a valance at the top, side guides and a weighted hem.
On the $50,000 Energy Efficiency Makeover Contest
• ECA is offering an ECA member in good standing a chance to win $50,000 in energy efficient renovations to an existing home structure.
• You have until July 15 to enter and the process is simple:
o Visit ECAHomeMakeover.com
o Complete the entry form by answering a few questions
o Take an exterior photo of your home
o Mail in form and photo
• Winners will be announced by August 10.
• It doesn't take long and once you enter you'll be eligible for $50,000.
• With just over a week left we look forward to receiving your entry.